Railroads of Madison County - Circus Trains
Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My...
and the Carnivals too.
In the days when the circus and carnival shows traveled by rail,
they stopped in the smaller cities and towns as part of their
tour season. Anderson was no exception. No matter what Railroad
they came in on, the carnivals would set up in Athletic park at
the Anderson Fairgrounds and their trains would be routed onto
the Panhandle (Pennsy) to unload at the Freight House at 5th and
Main. The trains would then be pulled forward onto the siding by
the passenger station to the south at 9th and Fletcher. Their
cars could be easily seen by the traffic using the 9th Street
bridge and underpass. Johnny J. Jones and Rubin and Sherry were
the most common shows to work Anderson in the 40s. For the most
part, the carnivals moved to trucks for transportation leaving
only the circus traveling by rail.
The circus would use Harter Field just off of 2nd and Sycamore
Streets for their shows. They would unload along John Street on
the NYC where there were two tracks, the Michigan Division
(today's DOW) and a siding. They would unload their cars from the
end of the train spotting a 'Ramp Car' at the end and then
running the wagons and vehicles across ramps laid between the
flat cars. The smaller circus would unload 6 cars at a time while
the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey would unload up to 9 at a
time, half a section. Circus trains were broken into sections
containing the materials that would be needed at specific times
in setting up the show and they would be unloaded and reloaded
Cole Bros. Circus and Clyde Beatty Shows also made stops in
Anderson as did other smaller shows with all of them parading
their wagons and animals down to Harter Field for the set up of
their shows. The unloaded train cars would then be pulled north
on the NYC toward the dow interlocking for storage until needed.
Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey last
played Anderson on July 18, 1955 just a year before they retired their Big Top
and went off of the road on July 16, 1956 and began the schedule that they
currently use. The show was not well attended. That is all the more remarkable when considering that the Cole Bros. show playing Athletic Park a year or so later
was a sell out, but the era of the Circus Train visits to smaller communities
had come to an end and would be relegated to history and memory.
Return to Top of Page or Return to Main Page
Last updated April 06, 1998.
This "Railroads of Madision County" page is written, maintained and hosted by: Roger P. Hensley firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright 1997/1998 by Roger P. Hensley.
An addition to the original work by Roger P. Hensley Copyright 1995.